Friday 11 November 2016

in my secret life

So, Leonard Cohen died.
Many of you know him, well, know his song "Hallelujah", a majestic ballad which was recorded by many other artists.
I was just a teeneger and it was my dad who showed me his music (thanks a lot, dad!). "Dance me to the end of love"- very first Cohen´s song I´ve heard. And I feel in love.
It was the first time I heard this incomparable voice that epitomized gravitas, passionate aliveness, and sensual power. After listening to many of his songs scores of times over the years, I still find new layers. His words speak across the changes and evolving stages of our lives. He understood things on so many levels and was able to communicate them in ways that informed lives. Thank you for making me appreciate how putting words together can say so much unspoken and spoken. Thank you for helping shape my (young) mind. Thank you for your words, your songs, your life. Thank you for looking so deeply, for sharing your time giving us your finely wrought diamonds, for lighting the dark corners where the soul lives.
A voice like no other.

1 comment:

  1. "Dance me..." is among my favourites too. I was lucky to be at his concert in Łódź a few years ago, and it was one of the most powerful experiences in my life. I still can't believe he's gone! :( You may want to listen to his very last interview here (the audio is at the bottom of the page).

    ReplyDelete